Saturday, April 14, 2007

Tie Dye

Tie Dye is a fun technique and is a slight twist on the wax resist technique. I had done the wax resist a number of years back but have never done the tie dye version of it until now. After seeing some samples on SCS after the March VSN and also Twisted-Chicks samples and tutorial on her site & blog I decided to give it a go. You can find the tutorial here if you are interested.

For my first card that I created (at the top of this post), I used my dye ink pads to create the background; it is a fairly soft and subtle background. Sorry I can't remember what colors I used for any of my samples because I got too busy experimenting to take proper notice of what I was using.

This week on SCS the Ways to use it challenge is markers, now I use markers all the time so really I could pick any card I made for that challenge - but I wanted to go beyond that. So while playing with this tie dye technique I decided to try using my marvy brush markers to create the colors on the card after I had used my iron to get the wax on my card. The friends card and flower card both are created with markers rather than an ink pad.

One of the thinks I like about this tech is how it gives the effect of the sun, great for all those scenic type of stamps but of course not limited to them by any means.


Recipes for all cards:

Fishing Kids:
Stamps - Fishing Kids - Ornamentum; Greeting - Impression Obsession
Paper: White Gloss, Black; Certainly Celery & Garden Green - SU
Other: Wax Lunch Wrap; Iron Black Ink

Friends:
Stamps: Girls on Seat - Rubber Romance; Verse - Print Blocks (Aust)
Paper: So Saffron, Taken with Teal - SU; White Gloss, Black
Other: Wax Lunch Wrap; Iron Black Ink

Flowers:
Stamps: Petal Prints - SU; Greeting - Sugarloaf
Paper: White Gloss, Black, Juni Purple Optix; Violet Prisma
Other: Wax Lunch Wrap; Iron Black Ink, Word Window Punch

4 comments:

Kristine said...

How pretty!! Gives such texture to these cards...that's a really awesome technique! :o)

Allison Rankin said...

I love what you did here with the tie-die...the stamps you used on top of the technique really pop!

Michelle Giraud said...

Love the cards you made with the tye dye technique! Great job!!

THanks for linking to my tutorial too....

Anonymous said...

This is sooo beautiful!