Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Retirement Shirt

Today's technique challenge on Splitcoast Stampers is "Origami Shirts", I have made these before but I thought it would be fun to have a play around this time as I would have new products to use etc. I remembered this paper I purchased last year which I still have heaps of and figured it would make a great shirt. Just went to find the name of the paper to write in the recipe section to discover it is called "Red Hawaiian Shirt" so no wonder I had to make a shirt out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made a large one so that it can be used as a stand alone card.

When I was trying to decide what greeting to use on the inside of this card I remembered that the limited supply challenge was Retirement. I thought this shirt looks like something someone might wear when they are retired - so I have decided to turn mine into a retirement card. As I don't know anyone who is retiring I guess I will just keep it.

The greeting "On your Retirement" was printed onto the white card using my design runner. I then used my faux ribbon stamps to create the dot border. The hibiscus I stamped off once before stamping it onto the card so it would not over power the greeting - I thought it was appropriate seeing these flowers were also on the shirt. I also added surfs up, for no other reason than I saw the stamp when I was getting the hibiscus stamp out. I also thought someone who is retirement might go to the beach, not sure they would go surfing though but then you never know do you LOL!

I did add a little bit of extra decorative paper to the inside of the shirt as I didn't like seeing the white side of the paper when I opened up the shirt card. It has been added to the back of the sleeve flaps and also the middle section down the bottom.
Recipe:
Stamps: Hibiscus & surfs up - Club Stamps; Dot Border - Papertrey Ink
Paper: Red Hawaiian Shirt - Karen Foster; White; Black
Other: Design Runner with greeting cartridge; Black Ink; Lipstick Red Fluid Chalk; White Buttons

7 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

WOW, that card is so great. I have see the shirt pattern before but used as an embellishment on a card, not as the card itself. It is great. Don't you just love the Design Runner, I finally broke down and bought one earlier this year. One of our Shopping Channels was having a craft day and once I saw that you could creat your own sayings it was all over. I ordered one.

Tracy.H said...

Awesome job!! Love it!

Karen said...

great card. Perfect paper!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable card! I should try that out! I love all your creations on your blog! Outstanding work! ;)

Jill said...

I love this! I have some of this paper and it is just perfect for this project! I like how you have the shirt open up with the message inside too. Great job on the challenge!

Libby Hickson said...

This is so cute - I love that you made it into a retirement card, that is just perfect!

Rose Ann said...

This is so cute! Perfect paper for a retirement, and I love how it opens with a message inside! Too cool!