It's my turn to post a card and instructions over on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog. Today I am sharing a card I created using Chilly the Penguin die set which is one of the Character dies designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Crafts Designs. I have created a couple of cards using this die set and I have created a positive and negative image using the dies. I wanted to share how I did that so decided to make another card using this technique.
My card is another Christmas card ... but of course you could create the same card and use different colors and sentiments so that the card could be for any occasion. Of course living down here in Australia, it is summer at Christmas time ... so I won't be dreaming of a white Christmas but rather swimming in our pool :).
Here is how I made the card:
1. Cut a piece of red card so that it measures 4 3/4 inches x 9 1/2 inches.
2. Along the 9 1/2 inch side score at 2 3/8 inches; 4 6/8 inches and 7 1/8 inches.
3. Line the Merry Christmas Stand Up Helper die along the center of the 7/18 inch score line, securing with removable tape. Run card through die cutting machine.
4. Cut another Merry Christmas Stand Up Helper from Green Card, cut off the word just under the line and attach over the red Merry Christmas on the red card.
5. Cut a piece of white card that measures 5 1/2 inches x 4 1/4 inches. Adhere Double Sided Adhesive Paper to the top of the card. Place the dies from the Outdoor Edges die set on the card as per the top left photo above. Run card through Die Cutting Machine.
6. Remove the protective backing from the die cut card and apply Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter over the top, burnishing the glitter with your finger.
7. Cut a piece of designer paper 4 3/8 inches square.
8. Adhere the glittered snow pieces to the designer as per the photo above. Don't worry too much about the position of the trees as you won't see much of those once the card is created.
9. Trim off any overhanging snow so it is flush with the designer paper.
10. Layer the snow scene to green card that measures 4 1/2 inches square and then finally onto red card that measures 4 3/8 inches square.
11. Cut a piece of White Velvet Adhesive Sheets and Black Adhesive Sheets so you can fit the two penguin body pieces and the eyes. You will also need a piece of Red Velvet Adhesive Sheet & Green Velvet Adhesive Sheet for the scarf and Yellow Velvet Adhesive Sheet for the feet & beak. Note you will need to cut two sets of feet and beak.
12. Assemble the penguins using both the positive and negative pieces from the dies so you get penguins that look like the two above. One the normal black & white penguin and the other the negative white and black penguin.
13. Die cut the hat and bow from the Props 1 Die set using Black Velvet Adhesive Sheets & Green Velvet Adhesive Sheets for the hat and Red Velvet Adhesive Sheets for the bow. Cut off a small band from the green hat and attach it to the black hat as per the photo above. Attach the red bow to the white penguin and add a Red/Gold Glitter Dot to the center of the bow.
14. Add foam tape to the back of each of the penguins and adhere them to the snow scene card as per photo above. (This is also the front of the card when the card is folded flat ready to be placed in an envelope)
15. Die cut a snowflake (from the Circle Spiral Pull Card die set) from card that has been covered with Double Sided Adhesive. Cover with Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, making sure to burnish the glitter with your fingers. Add a Transparent/Gold Glitter Dot to the center of the snowflake and add it to the card as per photo above.
16. Using the Tag Die set die cut the middle sized tag from white card. Also die cut two holly leaves from card that has been covered with Double Sided Adhesive and then cover the adhesive with Green Silk Microfine Glitter. Die Cut the holly berries also from card covered with Double Sided Adhesive and cover this with True Red Silk Microfine Glitter.
17. Add your sentiment of choice to the tag and add the holly leaves and berries to the top of the tag as per photo above.
18. Fold the red card base we created in step 1, so that the top half of the card folds down (as per photo above) attach the Penguin decorated card to the bottom half of the card making sure you only add adhesive to the lower half of the back of the penguin card.
19. Add tag and holly leaves to the bottom of the card as per photo.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Products908 Chilly the Penguin (designed by Karen Burniston) 911 Props 1 (designed by Karen Burniston) 914 Outdoor Edges (designed by Karen Burniston) 916 Spiral Circle Pull Card (designed by Karen Burniston) 939 Merry Christmas Stand Up Helper 763 Tags 501 Double Sided Adhesive 641 Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter 614 True Red Silk Microfine Glitter 632 Green Silk Microfine Glitter 406 Black Velvet Adhesive Sheets 405 White Velvet Adhesive Sheets 402 Red Velvet Adhesive Sheets 403 Green Velvet Adhesive Sheets 401 Yellow Velvet Adhesive Sheets SKU 7018 Red/Gold Glitter Adhesive Dots SKU 7018 Transparent/Gold Glitter Adhesive Dots Other Red Card
White Card Do Crafts Festive Frolics Designer Paper Paper Pretties Thanks Snow Much Stamp Set
Foam tape Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue Black Ink Pad