Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Karen Burniston January Designer Challenge Day 2

KBDCSnappyBdaywm

Hi everyone,

As promised this morning, I am back with another card for this month's Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. This time round the theme for the challenge is "Triple Categories" - our cards must include dies from 3 (or more) categories in the Pop it Ups line - those categories are Accordion & Frame Edges, Pivot Cards, General Pop-ups, Pull Cards, Pop Stands, Edge dies, Characters & Props, Embossing Folders, Accessory Dies. We also had to use at least one of the new dies which were released earlier in the month at CHA.

I have used a few of the new dies for my card today …. they are so much fun. I think I have covered 5 categories again when I made this card  Smile.

The base of my card uses the new Rectangle Pull Card I am having so much fun with this die! I found some fun underwater designer paper in my stash so that was the start of my card. I wanted the card to have a sea bed bottom so I used the new Beach Edges set to create the sand which I die cut from cork sheets. I adhered some of the ECD Transparent Double Sided Tape to the back of the cork  before die cutting as this made it easier to attach to my card.  I used the 64mm wide tape, but any of the wide tapes or tape sheets would work for this. I also decided to add some shells  which comes with Rocky the Crab.

I die cut the rectangle laying panel included in the set from white and embossed this using the Clouds Embossing Folder. As you can see I also added more sand to the bottom of this panel before attaching to the centre panel.

As there were crabs on my designer paper it wasn’t hard to decide that Rocky the Crab needed to come out and play on my card Smile. I decided I wanted to make this a birthday card … so I added a hat and blower from the Props 2 – Party set.

I computer generated the “Snappy Birthday” and used the speech bubble from the Rectangle Accordion Card set.

KBDCSnappyBday2wm

I wanted another crab on the inside hiding behind the centre panel which I also decorated in a party theme. and I added another speech bubble at the top using another computer generated sentiment.

As I wanted these both to be hidden when the card was closed I attached the spinner to the top of my card as per Karen’s directions on the die packaging, but adhered the sentiment to the right side rather than the left. For the bottom spinner I attached it upside down and then attached Rocky’s arm to the left hand side. When the card closes it all folds  under the centre panel without getting in the way of each other Smile.

If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (formerly Photo Continental). The new dies will be arriving shortly!

Don't forget to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month.

Dies: Rectangle Pull Card; Rocky the Crab; Rectangle Accordion Card; Props 2 – Party – designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs
Other ECD Products: Clouds Embossing Folder – designed by Karen Burniston; ECD Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape
Paper: White; Blue; Splash Dance Bathing Beauties DP - Imaginesce
Other: Cork Sheets; Foam Tape

 

#aa-owl-signature

3 comments:

raquelmason.blogspot.com said...

Such a fun card! Love the crabtastic sentiments & how Rocky is holding the noise maker.

Karen Aicken said...

Love this card! Rocky is perfect all decked out for a party ... and your cork 'sea floor' is perfect.

Joanne (jojot) said...

you can pull all sorts of images and sentiment together....love it