Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Karen Burniston May Designer Challenge Day 2



Hi everyone,

As promised yesterday, I am  back with another card for this month's Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. This time around the theme for our challenge is BARNS, BARNS, BARNS - Time to show off the new Collins dies with a designer challenge in their honor. The only requirement is that you use the new Barn Pop Stand die. You do not have to use it with the enclosed Pop Stand (if, for instance, you prefer using the barn on a card front or on one of the other PIU dies) and you do not have to style it as a barn.

This card is doing double duty today, as it is also challenge time again over on the Riley and Company blog. As the theme for their challenge was Graduation and I was already making a schoolhouse, I figured I would combine the two. Once upon a time, graduations were only for those who left University or College, but these days graduations start in Kindergarten ... I went to my Grandsons last year. So I figured my card would probably suit a younger graduation rather then a college type. 

I have used dies from approximately ten different die sets to create this card. 



For my card today I have turned the Barn from the Barn Pop Stand Card set into an old fashioned schoolhouse. To do this I die cut the barn twice, I wanted some texture on my barn so I used the new bricks die to emboss the texture of the bricks onto my card. I then trimmed the second barn down on each side and used the window from the set to create the hole. I also die cut two of the roof trims and after adhering these to my 'schoolhouse' cut the one on my cut down barn so it was smaller. I then attached this behind the main barn to make it a schoolhouse.

The windows and doors are from the House Pivot Card set. The bell I hand cut, I did look through my dies but the only thing I found looking anything bell shaped was the lid to a ginger jar, but it was way too big. The school sign is stamped using Snap Stamps and then die cut using the fishtail label from the Lorna Labels Pop Up Card set. 

As the card I made yesterday used the optional pop stand die from the Barn Pop Stand Card set, I decided to do a different type of card this time round ... that is the fun thing about the barn, it can be used on any style of card you want, it doesn't HAVE to always be a pop stand card. As you can see I ended up making a pop up card and for this I used the Lots of Pops Pop Up Card die set. 


A school needs students, so I used  Riley and Company's School Boy Riley and Schoolgirl Sophie which I have attached to the schoolhouse using the spiral die from the Rectangle Pull Card set. I die cut my spirals from acetate so they weren't as noticeable as card would be.

Along the bottom and top edges of my card I used the scallop border from the Tags & More 7 - Vines die set.  I added the "Class of 2015" using the Alphabet 1 - Caps and Numbers & More 1 die sets. Before die cutting the letters and numbers I added ECD Transparent Double Sided Adhesive to the back of my card to make adhering these to my card easier. 

I also added a label to the base of my card which is from the Lorna Labels Pop Up Card set for a handwritten message.



Here is the front of my card. To create my tag at the top of my card I used the Tags & More 6 - Daisy die set ... I trimmed down the edges of the tag once cut and then layered it to a red tag. I then used the Alphabet 1 - Caps to spell out "CONGRATS'.

I have again used the border from the Tags & More 7 - Vines die set and to make it feel more like a Graduation card, I added Graduation Riley


If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (formerly Photo Continental). 

Don't forget to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.


Stamps: School Boy Riley; Schoolgirl Sophie; Graduation Riley - Riley and Company; Karen Foster Alphabet Snap Stamps
Paper: White; Red; Brown; Cream; Yellow; Class of 87 DP - Kaisercraft; Sprinkles DP - We R Memory Keepers
Dies: Barn Pop Stand Card; Lots of Pops Pop Up Card; Rectangle Pull Card; House Pivot Card; Lorna Label Pop Up Card - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs; Bricks; Tags & More 7 Vines; Tags & More 6 Daisy; Alphabet 1 Caps; Numbers & More - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Other: Black Ink; Acetate; Foam Tape; Copics





6 comments:

VanessaB said...

ohmygosh. way toooooooooo cuuuuute!!!

sgc said...

Frances--this is adorable!!!!!

Karen Aicken said...

LOVE it ... the colours - the Riley characters on the spinners - everything!

fran said...

Such a clever card! You are amazing!

Kelly Booth said...

So Fun and Creative I Love this!!!

Joanne (jojot) said...

truly outstanding.....love it