Monday, August 10, 2015

Karen Burniston August Designer Challenge Day 1



Hi everyone,

It's time for our August Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. This time around the theme for our challenge is Inspired Creations - we have all been blown away by each other work month after month and this is our chance to show a fellow teammate how much they've inspired us. We were able to pick any project from any Designer Challenge going back to the beginning and use it as inspiration for a new card. you could be inspired by a technique, a color scheme, a combination of dies - anything.

As always this was a fun challenge, however it was a little hard as so many of the Design Team have inspired me with their creations over the past 18 months or so, so what to pick for this challenge wasn't easy. If I had the time I am sure I could have found a card to make from each of the Design Team members.

For my card today I have decided to use Shelly Hickox's Accordion Tunnel Card that she created for my inspiration. Shelly made her first one of these for her May 2014 Designer Challenge and has made 2 or 3 more since then.... all stunning. I have been wanting to play around with this technique since I first saw Shelly's, so this was the ideal time to do so.



The base of my card uses the Oval Accordion Card. I then decorated my card using a few of the new dies from the Merry & Bright Collection which has recently been released. At the rear of the card I added the Sleigh and presents from the Sleigh with Gift Card Holder die set. 

The trees are from the Christmas Trees Pop Stand Card set, I created two large 3D trees for the front and then added the smaller trees in the centre of the card. 

I have also added Rudy the Reindeer so that he is peeking out of the card.

To finish off the card I added the sentiment using the Merry & Bright Clear Stamps which is stamped onto a label from the Katie Label Pivot Card set.  



The stars on the trees on the front of the card were cut from card that had Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape adhered to the front of it and then Silver Silk Microfine Glitter added to this once die cut. 



Here is a view of my card from the left hand side. You can see that I added the "Santa Says & Nice" stamps from the Merry & Bright Clear Stamps



One more photo, this time so you can see it from the right hand side. 

Shelly has another tutorial for this style of card on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog which you can find here



Here is a quick video showing my card in action.


If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (formerly Photo Continental).

Don't forget to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.

I will be back tomorrow with another card I created for this challenge.


Stamps: Merry & Bright Clear Stamps - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Paper: White; Black; Tan; Brown; Crimson; Green; Silver; Wrap the Gifts DP - Maja Design; Vintage Winter - Maja Designs
Dies: Oval Accordion Card; Sleigh Gift Card Holder Pop Up; Ring Accordion Card; Christmas Tree Pop Stand; Rudy the Reindeer; Katie Label Pivot Card - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs
Other ECD Products: Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape 64mm; Silver Silk Microfine Glitter; Red/Gold Glitter Dots
Other: Red Ink; Green Ink; Foam Tape


5 comments:

Karen Aicken said...

Such a cool card Frances. Love all the different angles you showed in the pics.

Kelly Booth said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!!!

fran said...

Fabulous! What a wonderful card!!

Mrs. Kenco said...

This is so absolutely cute. I want to make one. Hope I can figure out how. You are awesome.

Joanne (jojot) said...

now this is truly a very fancy fold....fabbo