Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Karen Burniston August Designer Challenge Day 2


Hi everyone,

As promised yesterday, I am back today with my second card for the August Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. 

This time around the theme for our challenge is This time around the theme for our challenge is Inspired Creations - we have all been blown away by each other work month after month and this is our chance to show a fellow teammate how much they've inspired us. We were able to pick any project from any Designer Challenge going back to the beginning and use it as inspiration for a new card. you could be inspired by a technique, a color scheme, a combination of dies - anything. 


For my card today I took my inspiration from a card Donna Wright created for her January 2015 Designer Challenge which was themed on the Owl and the Pussy-cat Poem by Edward Leary.

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.

Being an owl lover, I loved loved loved Donna's card and wondered why I hadn't thought of that idea! Donna had created a Pop Stand card, so I decided to create a Pop Up Card using the Lots of Pops Pop Up Card die set. I also used the pole and one of the banners from this die set to create my sail. The large sail was hand cut.

For the boat, I used the bath from the Bathtub Pop Stand Card die set. I cut off the legs of the bath, although seeing it was behind the waves I probably didn't need to. The waves are from the Beach Edges set, I cut the waves in aqua card and then sponged Picket Fence Distress Paint over the top of the waves.

The Owl of course is Poppy the Owl and the Cat is Whiskers the Cat. I cut off the cat's tail from the bottom of it's body and then placed it at the back of the right hand side so you could see it waving above the boat. I also cut along the owl's wings so they could hang over the boat.

I added three clouds from the All Seasons Tree die set to the cloud paper at the top portion of the card.

I typed up the first two lines of the Owl & the Pussy-cat poem and used the label dies from the Katie Label Pivot Card die set for layering.     



Here is a view of my card from the left side. I popped up the top pop up on the main pop up panel to hold my sail. 


Another view of my card, this time from the right hand side so you can see the sail a little better.



Here is the front of my card, I have kept it simple as the focus of this card is the inside. I added a couple of waves along the bottom of the and added the Happy Birthday sentiment which is from the Happy Birthday Pop Up Card set which is layered to a label from the Katie Label Accordion Card set.

If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (formerly Photo Continental).

Don't forget to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.

I will be back tomorrow with another card I created for this challenge.


Paper: White; Teal; Aqua; Green; Black; Pink; Sugar & Spice DP - Doodlebug Design Inc; Sunkissed DP - Doodlebug Design Inc; Here & There DP - Studio Calico Little One DP - Kaisercraft
Dies: Bath Pop Stand Card; Lots of Pops Pop Up Card; Poppy the Owl; Whiskers the Cat; Beach Edges; Katie Label Pivot Card; Katie Label Accordion Card; All Seasons Tree - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Design
Other: Picket Fence Distress Ink; ECD Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape 64mm; Foam Tape


4 comments:

Kelly Booth said...

Everything about this Fun card is perfect purfect!!!!!! xoxoxoxo

fran said...

Great card! This is one of my favorite poems :)

Karen Aicken said...

Great card Frances ... I especially like your colour choice. Well done!!

Joanne (jojot) said...

love that cloud dp enhanced with the larger clouds