Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Karen Burniston September Designer Challenge Day 2


Hi everyone,

As promised yesterday, I am back today with my second card for the August Karen Burniston Designer Challenge.

This time around the theme for our challenge is  Celebrate! - interpret the theme however you want. Any type of joyful card meant to celebrate an accomplishment, milestone, birthday, new baby, etc. - also please incorporate any of the Frame Edges as an added twist.

Seeing I created a birthday card yesterday for this challenge, I decided to create a Baby card today. As we had to using Frame Edges, I decided to stick with using the Accordion Card dies but wanted to do something other than an Accordion card. So decided to create a Tent Card using the Oval Accordion Card die set. 

Approximately two months ago I created a tutorial on how to create a Tent Card using the Accordion Card dies over on the Elizabeth Craft Design Blog ... you can find that tutorial here. The only difference between the card I made for the tutorial and this one is that I copied an idea my friend and fellow DT member Karen Aicken did when she made one of these cards by keeping the label section of the accordion in place and using that for my image rather than a swinging image on the inside of the card.

I had planned on using the Oval Cloud Frames around my card, but as I had turned the Accordion Card on it's side that meant the clouds would have been on their side which didn't look good. So I decided to go with the Oval Dot Frame Edges instead.

I used Snowball the Sheep as my main image of the card. For the white layers of the sheep, I adhered Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the front of the card before die cutting and then covered with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter

Beside the Sheep, I added the It's a Girl sentiment using ECD It's a Boy/Girl sentiment die.

Across the top of the card I used the Quietfire Congratulations. I die cut this about 3 times in white and then once in pale pink (with Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the front of the card) and covering with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Layering all 4 layers on top of each other, this helps the sentiment to stand out a little better seeing the whole card is mostly pinks.

To decorate the bottom section of the card, I added a couple of baby images from the Baby Peel-Off Stickers



Here is another view of my card, this time so you can see the side of the card and how the folds look.

If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (formerly Photo Continental).

Don't forget to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.

Dies: Oval Accordion Card; Oval Dots Frame Edges; Snowball the Sheep - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs; Quietfire Congratulations; It's A Girl - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Other ECD Products: Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Paper 64mm; Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter; Baby Peel-Off Stickers; Pink Glitter Dots Peel-Off Stickers
Paper: White; Pale Pink; Pink; Black; Designer Paper - Kaisercraft
Other: Foam Tape


3 comments:

Joanne (jojot) said...

really sweet....

Shelly Hickox said...

I love this, Frances!! Your tent accordion idea is fantastic. I just finished a Halloween one and wanted to thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial!

Karen Aicken said...

I am hooked on making tent cards ... love your idea. Snowball works perfectly on a baby card and I wouldn't have thought of that. Sweet!