Friday, June 4, 2010

Tutorial – Medallions using Martha Stewart Corner Punches!

Corner-Punches-wm

Hi all,

Most of you who follow my blog know that I have become addicted to the Martha Stewart border punches. Of course when I buy a new border punch I normally also get the matching corner punch so that I have it if I want to do a full border.

Now I know we have created medallions before using corner punches, but until recently I didn’t think about doing them with my Martha Stewart Corner punches … until the other week in a local scrapbook store with my friend. When we got home we immediately got out all my Martha Stewart punches out and started to play!

I decided to paste all my samples into a book so that if I was looking for a specific shape or design it would be easy to see which one works best. You can see all the different medallions you get in the photo above and below. Some of the designs you get from these punches are awesome, obviously there are some I like better than others and will be using over and over again.

Corner-Punches2-wm

Here is what you need to do to create them:

  quilted-supplies

Supplies Needed:

  • Martha Stewart Corner Punch of your choice (mine is quilting)
  • 1 1/2 inch (3.8cm) Square piece of card
  • Reverse Tweezers or strip of card with removable tape at one   end.

 quilted1

1. Take your 1 1/2 inch (3.8cm) square card and place one corner into the corner rounder and punch.

Remove piece from punch.

 

 

quilted-tweezers1

 

Place your reverse tweezers (these are tweezers that need to be squeezed to open not to shut so are perfect for doing this) on the opposite corner than the one you wish to punch next.

 

 

quilted-tweezers

Insert the card into the punch, lining up the corner. Make sure the tweezers are just outside the punch.

 

 

quilted-strip

If you don’t have reverse tweezers, a strip of card with some removable tape on one end will also work.

 

 

quilted2

quilted3

< 2 corners done

 

                                        3 corners done >

  quilted finished

Here is the completed medallion.

 

 

 

I don’t have a completed card to show you as the cards I have made so far are can’t be posted for another week or two but I can give you a sneak peek at them.

flower

 

First off this flower that I used as an embellishment to a card. This was made using the Optic Dot Corner Punch … I punched out 3 layers and then scrunched them up and layered them together to create my flower.

 

 

corner-punches4-wm

 

This is the Optic Dot before I turned it into a flower … I can see lots of possibilities for this … add a button or brad in the centre for another fun embellishment.

 

 

byte

 

Here is another I did using the Quilted Corner Punch … I stamped my sentiment on white card and punched it out with a small circle punch and layered that in the centre of the medallion.

 

 

Hope you have enjoyed my tutorial and it helps you to use those corner punches more.

aa-owl-signature

37 comments:

Unknown said...

These are sooooo cool!!! I am also addicted to these punches and have quite a good collection of them that keeps growing all the time! These are definitely on my list of new things to play with...thanks for sharing your creativity!!

SusanBluerobot said...

Running to get all my martha corner punches now THANKS HEAPS

Shelley said...

OOooooh. I am so hating you right now (LOL)! I have always resisted the lure of the corner punches (although I have many, many border punches) and now you've shown me that I absolutely MUST buy them. Oh well, I don't need to eat if I can craft! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Cindy Haffner said...

cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to have to try this Frances!!

Tammy E. said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for this wonderful idea! You are wonderful!

Riley and Company said...

Oh rats - now that i saw this I am going to have to start carrying them in the store! How cool!

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

Terrific tutorial on how to use corner punches to make a medallion. Now, I have another question for you, wise one. I'd be interested in knowing how you store so many punches. Do you have a semi truck for those, too? LOL!

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

Thanks! What a great way to use your punches!

Merlie said...

Friend of mine saw your blog and she immediately thought of me. I'm soooo gonna have to do the same as yours. Thanks for sharing

Becky said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, Frances! I've already tried it with my one and only MS corner punch (lol) and it works great! Now off to the craft store in the a.m. to buy more :)

Kirsty said...

I love this idea! I have a bunch of corner punches I don't use much. I need to try this!

Betty Neville said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! Will have to try this!

Jane Norrish said...

Hey Frances thanks for the tutorial, it's great and some of the effects are just fabulous. Need more of those punches now, thanks for that too.
Jane ;-)

Whimsey said...

What a great tutorial - believe it or not, I do not own a SINGLE MS corner punch...but you might have enabled me - LOL!

Thanks for sharing!

Angelwood said...

Oh wow! That is brilliant! I am trying this for sure! TFS hugs, Angela

Vina said...

Wow..such an amazing discovery! I love your medallions..another terrific use for my huge MS punch collection! Thank you so much for sharing your sample pages & tutorial!
I'm off to dig out my corner punches & play!

Joanne (jojot) said...

I have done a couple, just playing around, but you have now opened my eyes to even more possibilities...wowza

Silke Ledlow said...

Oh my this is so awesome Frances!!! Thanks for sharing this idea with us...I love my MS Punches!!! Maybe now I can use different idea...YOU ROCK GF!!! Hugs ~S~

Liz said...

So so so clever !!!! And next week I have to go out of town for a dr appt and just by coincidence there is a Michael's, a Joann's a HL and my all time favorite huge LSS ! Good thing it's at the VA Hospital, which mak es it free, AND I get about $25 for mileage...free crafty money for me !!

Tammy said...

Wow, brilliant! Love to get extra uses out of my punches, thanks for sharing! (I, too am a MS punch addict!)

Crafty Math Chick said...

This was SO COOL! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with all of us - now I want ALLLLLL the MS corner punches! WAAH! My poor wallet!

Jessica said...

This is fabulous! I never use those corner punches, but now I'm gonna give these a try! love this great tutorial and awesome inspiration! thanks for sharing!!!

Dawn said...

leave it to you...genius, my friend!

Judy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your time and talent. This creates so many more uses for the MS punches.

Unknown said...

I am so happy that I found your Blog. I love the way you use the Martha Stewart punches. Thank you so much for sharing.
Take care and happy crafting,
marcia

Peachy Wessels said...

Thanks for the great info! I love using the Martha Stewart punches, and like you, I buy both the corner punch and the edge punch. I have tried a few, but didn't have the right measurement or technique. So thanks for the tip!

Melanie said...

I am addicted to following blog leads, you know 'one blog leads.to another'. And here is the best reason to buy more punches! Like many I've bought a few without their corners. Never mind. Hi from.Australia.

Angelina said...

Wow, Now that surprised me as i really never had an outlook on the subject like that.

Jessica G. said...

Awesome idea! What a perfect way to find a dual purpose for these fun punches!! Thanks for the photo demo, too.

Angelina said...

i really like your post & as a business person i m totally agree with you that you always know what are you doing & what result you are achieving. iPhone Application Developer

Trish and Treasure said...

Great tutorial and I love how you made a book of samples!
Trish Munro

Jami said...

Fabulous tutorial!! Thanks!

Cahos' Chaos said...

What a wonderful idea. How many pages is this? I started my collection of punches, and would love to have a copy of this. Do you have it in a pdf file that I can print out? I would like to know ahead of time what each punch will do before I buy it. Thank you for you time. TFS

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

This is fantastic!!!!!

Janelle Stollfus said...

After all these years you are still wowing us with this tutorial. Love the catalog, love the step-by-step instructions and really love that optic circle flower. Fantastic, Thank you EVER SO MUCH!

Virgo5 said...

Frances you are so clever! I love finding another use for tools, and I have several MS punches so I'll have to give this a try! TFS

Ollie's mom said...

Hi Frances I love your ideas with all these punches. I was a wanting to make a book for myself. I would love to know what kind of book did you put them in and how did you glue them without sticking to the other page.

Thanks Beverly