Monday, February 8, 2016

Karen Burniston February Designer Challenge Day 1


Hi everyone,

It's time for our February Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. This time round Karen has challenged the Design Team with the theme Glitter. 

When I was thinking about what to do for the challenge this month, I wasn't thinking about using Jinks. But then when I went to look when Chinese New Year was, I discovered that is today! So Happy Chinese New Year to you all!

As 2016 is the Year of the Monkey, I just had to to create a Happy Chinese New Year card featuring Jinks the Monkey.


As you can see I used the Katie Label Pivot Card for the base of my card. I received some Yuzen Paper for Christmas, so I knew I had to use some of that on my card.

For the glitter part of this challenge, I decided use glitter when I created Jinks. I used Chocolate Silk Microfine Glitter; Fire Opal Silk Microfine Glitter; True Red Silk Microfine Glitter. 



I ended up creating three glittered Jinks the Monkey, two I attached to my card the normal way. The third, I referred to Karen's video from last month where she created sock monkeys and for one of her monkeys she turned the head a different way so he was hanging upside down. You can see Karen's video here

At the bottom of the card I used the Numbers & More 2 to create the 2016.


To create the "Happy Chinese New Year" sentiment I used the Happy New Year Word die, and then cut parts of two sentiments .... Merry Christmas & Season's Greetings to create the word Chinese.


For the "Year of the Monkey" on the right hand side of my card I used the Year from the Happy New Year Word die. The 'of' from Thinking of You and then pieced some letters together from the  Merry Christmas word die for the word 'the'.

I also embellished the right hand side of my card using the Paris Edges die set. 


Here is a rear view of my card.

If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (formerly Photo Continental).

Don't forget to check out  Karen Burniston's blog  on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.


I will be back tomorrow with another card I created for this challenge.

Stamps: Cheeky Monkey - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs
Paper: White; Red; Black; Gold; Yuzen Japanese Paper - Daiso
Dies: Jinks the Monkey; Katie Label Pivot Card; Paris Edges - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs; Happy New Year; Merry Christmas; Season's Greetings; Thinking of You; Numbers & More 2 - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Other ECD Products: Chocolate Silk Microfine Glitter; Fire Opal Silk Microfine Glitter; True Red Silk Microfine Glitter; Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet
Other: Black Ink; Foam Tape





3 comments:

Betty B said...

Frances, I love your Chinese NY card and can only imagine how it looks with glitter!. I purchased Jinx specifically to make Chinese NY cards for my adult sons with lucky red money envelopes. But I have another project in mind as well, converting him to a different primate.

Joanne (jojot) said...

wow....perfect monkey for the Chines New Year

Karen Aicken said...

Love your Pivot card Frances ... perfect to welcome in the Chinese New Year.