Monday, November 7, 2016

November 2016 Pop It Ups Designer Challenge #1


Hi everyone,

Welcome to our first Pop It Ups Designer Challenge for November. This time round our challenge was set by Karen Burniston. "Hat Attack" - there are 6 different hat choices in the Props sets - use one (or more) on a card. Characters are optional - it's all about the hats!

As mentioned above there are 6 different hats in the Props sets .... Props 1 - the Bowler Hat; Props 2 - the Party Hat; Props 5 - Santa's Hat; Props 6 - Cowboys Hat; Props 8 - the Chef's Hat; Props 9 - the Witches Hat. The is also a Top Hat in the Steampunk Charms die set too.



As I was thinking about what to do for this challenge I remembered a story which had something to do with hats and a monkey or monkeys ... can't really remember the whole story, just that there was one. So I decided to use that for my inspiration for my card this time round. 

As you can see I used the Hanging Charms Pull Tab die set to create the base of my card. 

You can also probably see that I used all the hats from each of the 7 die sets on my card.

Jinks the Monkey is holding three of the hands using his arms and tail and wearing a fourth of his head. The three hats I added to the left hand side of the card.

I also used one of the circles in the Labels and Circles die set for the sentiment which is inlaid into the panel so it doesn't interfere with the pull up mechanism of the card. 



The circles on the pop up part of the card are from the Twist Circle Pop Up die set. 

The "Pull" on the pull tab is from the Steampunk Clear Stamp set.



Here is my card when it is closed ready to be placed in an envelope.




With this style of card you have the option of either adhering the card to a folded card or keeping it flat and adding the sentiment panel on the back. I like to keep mine flat so that whoever receives the card knows to display the card flat.

I added a piece of designer paper to the left hand side of the card which is the same as what I used on the front of the card. I computer generate a sentiment and added another Top Hat from the Steampunk Charms die set to the upper right hand side of the card.


If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe (now online only).

Don't forget to check out  Karen Burniston's blog  on Tuesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.



Stamps: Steampunk Clear Stamps - Elizabeth Craft Designs; Hattitude - Stampin' Up
Paper: White; Black; Red; Blue; Brown; Tan; Flesh; Pink; Bright Pink; Grey; Going Places DP - Sugar & Spice Studio
Dies: Hanging Charm Pull Tab; Jinks the Monkey; Props 1; Props 2; Props 5; Props 6; Props 8; Props 9; Steampunk Charms; Labels & Circles; Twist Circle Pop Up;
Other ECD Products: Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape 64mm; Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter
Other: Black Ink; Foam Tape



2 comments:

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

It's a cutie. I hav all those dies...I will try and jump in on the challenge. Yours will be are to beat. You always do such a wonderful job and hav such a glorious imagination. I cased your card the other day and left you credit and a link.

CASTOWNE said...

Hats off to you for creating this great card.