Wednesday, July 23, 2008

alota Happy Day!

Well I am back with another card for you today ... this one is for this weeks sketch challenge over on SCS and I just had to use another one of those cute alota Rubber Stamps "Kids" images.

I used my long rectangle nestablities to create the scallop border around my image .... this time I shortened the rectangle rather than making it bigger but basically the process is just the same. I have had some queries about how this is done, so while I was creating my card I took some pics of the process and have created a tutorial for you all below.

Recipe:
Stamps: Kids set - alota Rubber Stamps
Paper: White; Blush Blossom, Pretty In Pink & Purely Pomegranate - SU; DP - Heidi Grace
Other: Black Ink; Cuttlebug Embossing Folder; Pomegranate Grosgrain Ribbon; Pink Brads; Pink Flowers; Foam Tape; Word Window Punch; Small Oval Punch



Tutorial for Joining (Shortening or Lengthening) Scallop pieces

For many of my cards the size of the scallop rectangle or square are not the size I need for the image I am using so I often either join two together or if it is too large ... make it so it is smaller.

Here I am showing you how to make the scallop rectangle shorter (I used the long rectangles), but it is the same process for when you want to join two together to make it bigger.



1. Use your nestabilities die to cut out your scallop piece .... here I used the long rectangle which I will shorten .... if you wish to lengthen, then you will need at least 2 pieces the same size & color.

2. As I am shortening I just cut my piece in half it does really matter where ... just make sure you get a nice need card at the bottom of the scallop. If you are lengthening your piece you will want to cut off at least the bottom scallop of the pieces so the rounded bottom scallop doesn't show when joined.

3. Place one of the pieces underneath your main image ... don't use any glue right now ... we are trying to work out where we need to join it ... once you have one underneath place the other piece underneath and position it how you want it to look when joined. (sorry no pics .. hard to hold two pieces and take a photo too). I normally count how many scallops down it is so I know where to apply my adhesive ... but you could also make a mark with a pencil if you wanted.


4. Apply your adhesive. I normally apply mine at both cut edges ... this will be at the back of the panel you see with the image still showing here ... and on the front of the other piece, this will make it nice and secure. You can cut some of the extra scallops you won't need if you wish ... normally I don't bother.

5. Here is my joined panel. Now all you have to do is attach your image onto it.


6. The closer the matting is to the scallop piece the harder it will be for anyone to see where you joined you piece ... I know I have had friends look at some of my joined pieces in the past and the only reason they find the join is because I told them it was joined and they have gone looking for it.

I hope that all makes sense ... and you have fun joining your scallop pieces.


2 comments:

Cindy Haffner said...

Super coloring Frnces, so sweet. Thanks for the tips, I don't that alot with my spellbinder dies.

Stephanie Hargis said...

This is amazing Frances! I love how you colored her! She is so cute too! Your details on this card are perfect! Everything looks fantastic!