It's my turn to post a project on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog today. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love owls which is why my blog is called StampOwl's Studio. So of course I was super excited when I discovered that one of the dies being released by Elizabeth Craft Designs at the end of this month was going to be an Owl die .... when mine arrived it was the first thing I had to play with. I decided to create a Stand Up card this time round and instead of die cutting the Brick die for the background, I have embossed it which makes this die even more versatile.
Here is how I created my card:
1. Cut a piece of pale pink cardstock 4 1/4″ x 11″. Score at 2 3/4″ and 5 1/2″. Fold along score lines as shown above. Lightly score at 8 1/4″ but do not fold.
2. Position the Grass Stand Up Helper die so that the bottom of the die is lined up along the 8 1/4″ score line created in step 1 and approx 5/8 inch in from the left of the card. Die cut, remove the die from the card and now line it up again on the score line but this time approx 5/8 inch from the right of the card.
Place a piece of Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive to green cardstock that will be large enough to fit the Grass Stand Up Helper die twice. Die cut so that the adhesive is on the bottom, trim along the bottom edge of the grass and adhere on top of the Grass on the pale pink card.
Cut a piece of pale pink cardstock 4 1/4″ x 2 5/8″ and adhere to the panel behind the Grass to hide the opening.
3. Cut a piece of cream cardstock which measures 4 inches x 2 1/2 inches and a piece of pink designer paper which is 3 3/4 inches x 2 1/4 inches. Sponge around the edges of each piece using light brown ink. Layer the designer paper to the cream card. Adhere this to the panel in front of the Grass Stand Up Helper die cut.
Place a piece of Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive to dark brown cardstock that will be large enough to fit the "Happy Birthday" die. Die cut and attach to the centre of this panel.
Use a dark brown copic marker to color seven large and six medium dots from the Transparent Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers. Use four of each size to decorate the corners as per sample above. Set aside the others for later.
4. For Main Panel
- Cut a piece of cream cardstock 4 inches x 5 1/4 inches, sponges around edges using light brown ink.
- Cut a piece of burgundy cardstock 3 3/4 inches x 5 inches. Lay the Brick die on top of the card so that it is centre and emboss. (Tip: to emboss the die rather than die cutting it you will need to place the card stock onto a silicone embossing mat and then the die cut side down onto the card, which is then sandwiched between the cutting plates. If you are using a Big Shot, you will be using tab 1. For other die cutting machines refer to your machines embossing instructions.)
- Use a sanding block to sand over the embossed bricks and the edges of the burgundy card.
- Layer the burgundy card to the cream card.
- Apply Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive to the back of the bottom half of this panel, ensuring the adhesive does not extend past 2 1/2″ from the bottom. Attach panel to the folded stand up card we created in step 1 so that there is an even border around the two sides and bottom.
5. Using the Owl Die die cut the following:
- (2) branches one from dark brown cardstock and one from green cardstock. (apply transparent double sided adhesive to the back of the dark brown card before die cutting branch). Remove leaves from brown branch and adhere over the green branch.
- (1) Solid Owl from brown cardstock.
- (3) Outline Owls - one from brown cardstock, one from cocoa brown cardstock and one from pink designer paper. (apply transparent double sided adhesive to the back of all pieces before die cutting). Remove the outline only from the dark brown owl and attach this to the solid owl. Before attaching the pieces from the remaining owls use a black marker to color the eye balls black. Refer to the photo above for placement of attaching the pieces from the cocoa brown owl and the pink designer paper owl.
- (1) Set eyes from white card stock (apply transparent double sided adhesive to the back of all pieces before die cutting). Attach to owl as per photo.
- (1) Beak & Feet set from yellow cardstock ((apply transparent double sided adhesive to the back of all pieces before die cutting). Attach to owl as per photo.
- Attach owl to card using foam tape.
6. Die cut Speech Bubble from the Rectangle Accordion Card die set from cream cardstock. Sponge around edges using light brown ink.
- Using the Alphabet 1 - Caps die, die cut the letters H O O T from dark brown cardstock which has been backed with Transparent Double Sided Adhesive). Attach letters too Speech Bubble.
- Use foam tape to attach Speech Bubble to card.
7. Attach the remaining colored Glitter Dots that we set aside in step 3 to the burgundy panel as per photo.
Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
1032 Owl (to be released end of April)
Bricks (to be released end of April)
Cardstock: Pale Pink; Burgundy; Dark Brown; Brown; Cocoa Brown; Cream; Green
Designer Paper: Wild Rose Studio Antique Library 6 x 6 Paper Pad
Copics: Black; Dark Brown
Ink: Light Brown Ink