It’s my turn to post a project on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog today. It’s December and my Christmas Tree has been put up and decorated and it is time to start thinking about wrapping the presents and put them under the tree, so when my Grandchildren come over they get all excited! Of course wrapping presents means I need some gift tags so I know who the present is for. Today I am sharing 5 gift tags I created using the Christmas Ornaments 2 Peel-Off Stickers and the Tags and More 1 – Lace die set.
I made made 5 gift tags as I wanted to use all the pieces from the Peel-Off Sticker sheet, but of course if you only want to make one that is easy enough to do too.
Here’s how I created my gift tags:
- Cut five pieces of red cardstock so they measure 3 1/4 inches x 5 1/2inches.
- Using the tag edge from the Tags & More 1 – Lace die set place this as close as you can to one of the 3 1/4 inch edges of the card and run through die cutting machine.
- Place the decorative die from the Tags & More 1 – Lace die set onto the card so it lines up with the curve and hole created from the tag edge die and run through die cutting machine. Set Aside.
2. Creating the Peel-Off Sticker images:
a. Before reading the instructions below, you can see a video Els created using this technique here.
b. Place a sheet of Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive onto cardstock that is big enough for your peel-offs and remove the release sheet.
c. Be careful not to touch the adhesive or it will leave fingerprints in the glitter.
d. From the Christmas Ornaments 2 Peel-Offs, place the ornaments, holly leaves and bows onto the release sheet (sticky side up).
e. Place the cardstock that has Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive, sticky side down, on top of the peel-offs (In other words, place sticky onto sticky.)
f. Use release sheet in handling the cardstock until you cover the adhesive with glitter so you don’t leave fingerprints.
g. Cover the adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, polish glitter with your finger and brush excess off.
h. Color your images as desired using alcohol-based markers on the glitter.
i. Cut around all peel off pieces.
j. Color white edges with a black permanent marker to give a more finished look.
k. Attach the ornaments to the top portion of the tags and then decorate the ornaments using either the holly pieces or bows (refer to photo at top of post)
* Coloring Tips for alcohol-based markers and glitter: Remember that when using alcohol-based markers, such as Copics, work quickly and don’t let the tip of the marker linger on the glittered surface. Too much alcohol ink can dissolve the adhesive and remove the glitter. It takes very little ink to color the surface of the glittered image so work with a light touch. To get the faded look, lay a line of color down along one edge of the section you want to color and then use your Blender pen to pull the color across the rest of the image. You may have to lay more color down to get deeper shading after you blend it out.
- Cut a piece of white card which is approx 31/2 inches x 6 inches. (TIP: I always cut my card slightly bigger than I need so I can trim down when the card is covered with glitter so any blemishes around the edges of the card can be removed.
- Lay a length of 10 mm Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape diagonally onto the white card as per first photo above. Next lay a length of 3 mm Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape next to the 10 mm piece so it is butted up close. Add an additional length of 3 mm Double Sided Tape next to the first piece. Then lay a piece of 6 mm Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape next to the 3 mm piece. Continue placing the tape onto the card until it is completely covered. Trim excess tape off around the edges of the card. (TIP: You may want to remove some of the excess tape from the edges while you are laying out the tape to make it easier to lift off your work surface when finished cover completely with tape)
- Randomly remove the protective backing from the covered card and then every third piece of tape after that, being careful not to touch the adhesive you are uncovering. When you have removed the backing from the tape for the first color, cover the adhesive with Soft Green Silk Microfine Glitter. Brush off any excess glitter from the card, and polish the glitter on the card before continuing to the next step. (TIP: For Silk Microfine Glitter projects, Elizabeth Craft Designs recommends that you work with the lightest colors first, then the darker ones. This is not a rigid rule but usually produces the crispest and most accurate results. (Remember, if any of the glitter colors get mixed together during the process of polishing one color and then another, keep a separate jar for the random mixture and use it for interesting and unexpected textures.)
- Remove the protective backing from every third piece of tape next to the Soft Green pieces and this time cover with Forest Green Silk Microfine Glitter. Repeat steps as per above.
- Remove the remaining protective backing from the tape on the card and cover with True Red Silk Microfine Glitter.
- Use black line stickers from the Borders Assortment Peel-Off Stickers to embellish the glittered card. (TIP: Look at your glittered piece and if you have areas that may not have been glittered select these areas to cover with the line Peel-Off Stickers.
- Cut this piece into 1 inch x 3 1/2 inch pieces.
4. Using the Merry Christmas Stand Up Helper Word die, die cut this from dark green card so you have about 1/2 edge at the bottom of the word.
- Attach the sentiment to the back of the striped glittered piece we created in step 3.
- Attach strip to the bottom edge of tag so that the letter “S” from Christmas is lined up to the right hand side of the card.
- Trim off any excess glittered strip from sides of tag.
5. Add ribbon to top centre hole of tag (Note: the Tags and More 1 – Lace die set comes with various reinforcement decorative dies if you wish to add one to your tags.)
Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs
951 Tags & More 1 – Lace 939 Merry Christmas Stand Up Helper Word Die 2536 Christmas Ornaments 2 Peel Off Stickers 7018 Red/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers Borders Assort Peel-Off Stickers (1167)
Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter (639) True Red Silk Microfine Glitter (614) Soft Green Silk Microfine Glitter (631) Forest Green Silk Microfine Glitter (633)
Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape Sheet (502) Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape – 3mm (505)
Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape – 6mm (506) Elizabeth’s Transparent Double Sided Tape – 10mm (507) Other
Dark Green Card
Foam Tape Green Ribbon