It's my turn to post a tutorial on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog today. With Christmas getting closer (116 days), I decided to create another Christmas Card using a few of the new dies that were released in August.
I have created a fun background using one of the rectangles from the Stitched Rectangles die set using red and green which are very traditional Christmas colors. The background idea can be used for any ocassion just by changing the colors used for the rectangles. I used the second smallest die for my card, but it would also be fun using the smallest rectangle for even more rows of color.
Here's how I created my card:
1. To create the card base cut a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock that measures 6 1/4 inches x 10 inches. Score along the 10 inch side at 5 inches to create a top folding card.
- Using the largest rectangle from the Stitched Rectangles die set, die cut a piece of red card. Layer the red card to the centre of the folded white card.
2. Cover a piece of cardstock (any color) that is approximately 6 inches x 5 inches.Adhere Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet to the front of the card and then die cut using the largest die from the Fitted Rectangles die set.
- Using the second smallest rectangle from the Stitched Rectangles die set, die cut three red and three green rectangles.
- Remove the protective backing from the adhesive on the large rectangle and position the first red stitched rectangle so that it is on a slight angle. Refer to photo above for positioning.
- Lay the second red stitched rectangle so that it is lined up at the same angle as the first.
- Next lay two of the green stitched rectangles so that they are butted up to the red rectangles. Note: Offset where the joins of rectangles are for a more interesting pattern.
- Turn card over in your hand and trim off any excess card that overlaps the edges of the card.
- Use the remaining die cut stitched rectangles and any of the offcuts to fill in the remainder of the adhesive.
- Trim off any over hanging pieces so it is level with the card.
- Adhere the completed background panel to the centre of the red layer on the folded white card.
3. Using the A Way with Words Merry Christmas die set, die cut the "Merry" from green cardstock and the "Christmas" from red cardstock. Note: both pieces of card should have Clear Double Sided Tape on the back prior to die cutting.
- Adhere the "Merry" towards the left hand side of the red row of stitched rectangles.
- Adhere the "Christmas" towards the right hand side of the green row of stitched rectangles. Refer to photo above for placement.
4. Using the Birds die set die cut all pieces using White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Color all the pieces using Copic Markers or Distress Ink referring to photo above for colors.
- Assemble birds.
- Attach birds to the right and left side of sentiments using foam tape.
5. The Inside of the Card:
- Counting from the centre die, die cut the fourth Stitched Rectangle from White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Using the Winter Sentiments Clear Stamp set, stamp the "Christmas Greetings"; "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and both snowflakes to the centre of the white panel using black ink.
- Counting from the centre die, die cut the fifth Dotted Scallop Rectangle from green cardstock.
- Layer the white stitched rectangle panel to the green dotted scallop rectangle.
- Die cut two of the second smallest Stitched Rectangles from red cardstock. Place adhesive to the back of the top right hand corner and the bottom left hand corner of the sentiment panel. Attach the two red stitched rectangles to the back of the sentiment panel so part of the red rectangles is showing. Refer to photo above for placement.
- Adhere the sentiment panel to centre of the inside of the card.
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Cardstock - Red; Green
Die Cutting Machine