Thursday, July 16, 2015

You're Fin-tastic!


Hi everyone,

It's challenge time with my friends over on the CCEE Stampers challenge blog.  Our challenge hostess for July, Lynn McAuley continues to issue the challenges.

Lynn tells us that "Boy are things hot this time of year in Texas. What better place to cool off than underwater." So for our challenge this week we are to create an under the sea scene for this week’s challenge.

A few months ago, my sister asked me if I would make a card for her Granddaughter which featured the Little Mermaid, as it is something that she loves. Of course I said yes, but it may be a while as I didn't have anything Little Mermaid related. A few weeks ago, I was online looking either on my blog reader or Pinterest and saw a card using the Little Mermaid and when I investigated I discovered it was using a Cricut cartridge ... hmmmm didn't I buy that cartridge a number of years ago. When I went to investigate I found it in my Cricut library. Originally I was going to do something else for this challenge, but when I found that I had the cartridge I decided to use that for the challenge instead.

One thing I learnt while making this card is why I love dies rather than Electronic Die Cutting. With dies I always know what I am getting and it is done pretty quickly. I had given my Cricut Expression to my daughter a couple of years ago as I also had the Imagine and the Sizzix Eclipse none of which were being used and I had the Gypsy with my all cartridges on it. Anyway ... I couldn't get the Gypsy to work with the Imagine and it took hours just to get the one Little Mermaid image arghhhhh! I tried to also do Flounder & Sebastian the next day when I was creating my card, but my machine wouldn't cooperate, so I had to resort to coloring pages I found online.


I did have to cut the Little Mermaid bigger than I would like, so when I went looking at what card base to use I decided on using the Tattered Lace Centre Stepper Card.

To get the look of seaweed, I used my La La Land Crafts Large Flourish die.



Here is the inside of my card, I added more of the designer paper I used on the outside of the card and also added a sentiment.

Don't forget to check out the CCEE Stampers blog (goes live 12 AM EST) to see the rest of the creations the CCEE Stampers created this week. You can also see more details of their creations on their individual blogs:


Stamps: Don't Be Koi - Sugar Pea Designs; WTG Who's The Mermaid - MFT Stamps
Paper: White; Teal; Dark Teal; Octopus to Zelephant Swirls - K & Company
Dies: Centre Stepper Card - Tattered Lace; MFT Die-namics Fishtail Flags Stax; Large Flourish - La La Land Crafts
Other: Black Ink; Dreams Come True Cricut Cartridge; Cricut; Rhinestones; Foam Tape; Copics


10 comments:

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh I can so relate to this, I give away things and then I think I still have them and then I spend so much time trying to find what I need, lol. This came out perfect, I love it.

Maryann said...

What little girl wouldn't love the Mermaid card. I knew as soon as I saw it that you had used the cricut, sorry that you had trouble with it, but it looks great and perfect for this challenge.

Sabrina said...

Oh my, this is just amazing!! I still often refer to your step card tutorial on SCS; it's certainly a great format for this brilliant underwater scene.

Liz Williams said...

This is going to be a part of someone's permanent collection!! So many little girls will fall in love with this one!!

Lois said...

Despite all your cutting machine problems, you have created an underwater wonderland for your sister's granddaughter.

Lynn McAuley said...

My favorite mermaid! What a wonderful design with these sensational Disney characters! Gorgeous work, Frances!

Karen Aicken said...

This is just adorable. Olivia's favourite is The Little Mermaid. LOVE this card, but sorry that it took you so many hours to complete it.

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

What a great card made from the Disney characters, Frances! I love step cards!

Vicky Gould said...

Outstanding, Frances....wonderful images beautifully displayed!

TracyM #6773 said...

FIN-tastic card StampOwl!!!
I was so inspired that I have used your card for our challenge this week at the Crafty Gals Corner.
Hope you like the card you inspired me to create :)
https://tracyscraftyadventures.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/crafty-gals-corner-challenge-93-case-it.html