Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - May 2021

Welcome to our April Karen Burniston Designer Challenge.

Check out Karen Burniston's blog on Wednesday (US Time) when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus Karen will have an amazing video tutorial to share with us all.

Our challenge theme this month is ... "NEW DIES!" - make a card of any theme that uses any of the April release dies.


For my card today I decided to use three of the new dies that were released last month ... the Slim Flaps and Frames; Tiny House Pop-up and Tiny Trees Pop-up die sets to create a Slimline card.

There are a number of different configurations you can create using the Slim Flaps and Frames die set. I decided to do something similar to a card Karen Burniston made recently, which was to position two of the flaps together to make a larger flap.

For the front of my card I used the Happy Birthday die set which I adhered to the larger centre flap of my card.

The fence is from the Farm Edges die set.

To help keep my card closed, I used to circular paperclips.


The top flap lifts up, and it reveals the scarecrow and lion from the Wizard of Oz. The stamps I used are a set called Trolls of Oz made by Craftin Desert Divas, this company is no longer in business so the stamps have been discontinued.

I used the larger of the angled platforms included in the Mini Pops Pop-up die set to pop up these two images.

I also added the "Make a Wish" sentiment which is from Word Set 2 - Birthday die set.


The next flap opens up to the left and is a double flap. I added two of the smaller flaps next to each other and then covered them with the layers to make them into one large flap. When you open the flap it reveals the scene from the Wizard of Oz where the house has landed on the Bad Witch and Dorothy and Toto have arrived in Oz. This idea was inspired by a comment left on one of Karen Burniston's Facebook pages by former DT member Shelly Hickox. The was created using the new Tiny House Pop-up die set.

I added the fence from the Farm Edges die set to the back of the house, which helps keep Dorothy upright.


The final flap opens up to the right and this time it reveals a tree which I created using the Tiny Trees Pop-up die set. I also added a blank white rectangle over the centre panel for a hand written message.

On the inside of the bottom flap I also added the Tin Man.


Here is another photo of my card when it is fully opened, to help you see all the different elements of the card.




Other Supplies:
Trolls of Oz - Craftin Desert Divas (discontinued)








2 comments:

Kelly Booth said...

Great card Frances!!!! Love it...

eunice said...

Another fabulous slim flaps "scene card"!