Monday, June 12, 2023

You're the Bees Knees

Hi Crafty Friends,

Today is the 3rd Anniversary of the Slimline Card Addicts Facebook Group, a group I started with my friends Karen Aicken three years ago because of our love of Slimline Cards. Neither of us ever dreamed that the group would grow so. quickly and now has a membership of over 9500 members.

Of course I had to make a Slimline card to celebrate the occasion, for my card I have mostly used stamps and dies from Lawn Fawn's recent May release.


Here is a quick video to see my card in action.


One of the dies that came out in the May release was the Magic Iris Bee Hive Add On, this can be used as a stand alone die or used in conjunction with the Magic Iris and Magic Iris Add On die sets. 

Lawn Fawn's Magic Iris dies were designed to work with an A5 card (4 1/4 inches x 5 1/2 inches), however I wanted to make a Slimline Card. I had to do a few little alterations to make it work, but I am happy with how it turned out. I used the largest Slimline Rectangle die from Lawn Fawn's Large Slimline with Sliders die set, so I could get the stitching around the edge of my panel. I then used Distress Oxide inks to add my sky background. I couldn't use the Magic Iris Add On die set to die cut the panel, so I used this instead to mark the placement of the circle and the semi circles on my card. I then used circle dies to cut these pieces out. I also needed to layer my slimline panel to a white panel for some extra width to hid the magic iris mechanism. I did need to do a little trimming once the mechanism was in place and if you look closely you can see a tiny bit of brown poking out on the left side, but for the most part it is ok. I also had to play around with the lever piece as my semi circle wasn't the exact size as the magic iris one.


Here you can see the magic iris starting to open and reveal the hidden message.

I used the grass die from Made To Surprise's Perky Pooches die set to add the grass layers.


And finally the full reveal of the hidden message. I used an older bee themed sentiment die from Darcie's Stamps for my message, which I white embossed onto brown cardstock.

To decorate the remainder of the card, I used the Hive Five stamp set, as well as the branch & small flowers from the Bee Hive die set.

Here is a quick look at my card showing the Magic Iris closed, partially open and fully open.


Of course seeing this is a bee themed card and Lawn Fawn also released a Bee Pop-up die set, I had to incorporate that into the inside of my card.

First I die cut two Slimline Rectangle Panels using a Picket Fence Studios die set. I then used  the first layer of a Honey Bee Stamps Stacking Hexagon Stencil set to add the hexagons randomly over my background. I also added a few black splatters.


After assembling the bee, I added it to the centre of my card.


Finally I added two sentiments to the inside panels using an older Honey Bee Stamps stamp set called Hi Honey.