Hi Crafty Friends,
It's my turn to post a tutorial today on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog. Today I am playing with a couple of the Becky Seddon dies ... the Stylish Snowman and Reindeer die sets to create a winter birthday card. I have created a mama and baby snowman for this fun card. Becky's Stylish Snowman die set comes with lots of different options to create unique snowman characters. This design could easily be changed to become a Christmas card, just by changing the sentiments.
I love pop-up cards, so I have used the new General Pop-Ups die set to create the base of my card. On the front of my card I used a couple of the new A Way with Words dies. If you love Suzanne's sentiments you are going to love her smaller version of the Happy Birthday sentiment. You can use all or part of what I have done for my cards today when creating your own depending on what you want to do.
Here is how I created my card:
Step 1 - The Snowmen:
Using the Stylish Snowman die set die cut the following from White Soft Finish Cardstock:
- (1) Large Circles
- (2) Medium Circles
- (2) Small Circles
- (2) Winter Hats
- (2) sets of Scarf pieces (3 pieces per scarf)
- (2) sets of arms
- (1) set of buttons
- (2) Noses
- (2) sets Eyes on black cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the back
- (2) sets Mouths on black cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the back.
- Sponge around each of the circles using Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.
- Join one small circle to a medium circle for the baby snowman, and join the three other circles together for the mama snowman/person. (Note - Be careful not to make the mama snowman too tall so that it will fit inside the pop up card when it is closed)
- Color the arms, nose, buttons, hats and scarf pieces using Copic markers and adhere to snowman as per photo above. (Note for the baby snowman, cut the arms below the elbow. You may also wish to wait to add the arms to both snowman, until they are placed inside the card to ensure the arms don't protrude from the sides of the card).
- Attach black eyes and mouth dots to snowman as desired.
Step 2 - Pop-Up Card:
- Cut a piece of snowflake paper from the ModaScrap White Christmas 12 x 12 Paper Pack so that it measures 5 3/4 inches x 12 inches.
- Score along the 12 inch side at 6 inches and fold. Reopen card.
- Place your snowman onto the centre of the card to get an idea where to place the pop-up dies. Remove the snowmen and place two of the pop-up dies from the General Pop-Ups die set so that the centre nubs of the die line up with the centre score line. Run through die cut machine.
- Remove the pop-up dies and fold card so you have two pop-up steps.
- Die cut three large trees from the Reindeer die set. Add details to the tree using a grey Copic marker. Adhere to back panel of pop up. (Note on the photo above I show a smaller tree on the right hand side, I removed that for a larger tree after I had put the snowman on).
- Using the snow die from the Reindeer die set, die cut two pieces of White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the front. Remove the protective backing from the adhesive and cover adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Return excess glitter to jar and polish the glitter into the adhesive using your finger. Using one of these pieces cut the snow into pieces and adhere to the back panel as per photo above. Reserve the second snow piece for later.
- Adhere snowman to the pop up panels. Note - make sure that the snowman's arms of the large snowman does not stick out of the card when it is closed.
- Adhere the second snow piece you created in step 3 to the edge of the bottom of the card.
- Using the "just chillin' from the Holiday Cheer Clear Stamp set and the "Happy Birthday!" from the Banner Sentiments, stamp onto White Soft Finish Cardstock using black ink.
- Centre the small oval from the Entwined Ovals die set over the white panel and die cut. Adhere to the centre of the base of the card. Die cut the small Entwined Oval again this time from blue cardstock and adhere around the solid white insert.
- Embellish the frame using Transparent/Silver Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers.
Step 5 - Card Front:
- Cut a piece of white cardstock so it is 5 3/4 inches x 12 inches. Score and fold along the 12 inch side at 6 inches to create a top folding card.
- Adhere pop up panel to the inside of the white cardstock.
- Cut a piece of snowflake paper from the ModaScrap White Christmas 12 x 12 Paper Pack so that it measures 5 3/4 inches x 6inches. Adhere to front of card.
- Using the A Way with Words - Flourish Frame, die cut from White Soft Finish Cardstock and also from blue cardstock.
- Adhere the solid inner panel from the white die cut to the centre of the card. (keep all the other pieces that came out of the die cut)
- Adhere the blue flourish frame so that it lines up against the white solid inner panel.
- Adhere all the remaining white pieces inside the blue frame.
- Die cut the A Way with Words - Small Happy Birthday from White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Color using three colors of pink/red Copic markers.
- Adhere to centre of Flourish Frame.
- Using the Stylish Snowman die set die cut the following:
- (2) Small Circles from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) Winter Hats from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) sets of Scarf pieces from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) Noses from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) sets Eyes from Black Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back
- (2) sets Mouth from Black Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back
- Assemble snowman head pieces and adhere to the top right and bottom left of flourish frame on front of card. (Refer to photos above for placement).
- Using the snowflake trio die from the Reindeer die set, die cut snowflakes from White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the front.
- Cover adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter and adhere snowflakes to card refer to photo above for placement.
- Add Transparent/Silver Glitter Dot Peel Off Stickers to centre of snowflakes.
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Cardstock - White; Blue
Inks - Black Ink; Tumbled Glass Distress Ink
Inks - Black Ink; Tumbled Glass Distress Ink