Thursday, August 25, 2022

Happy Birthday Earthling

 

Hi Crafty Friends,

It's challenge time with my friends over on the CCEE Stampers challenge blog. As challenge hostess of the month, I finish off the month with one last challenge.

According to the Days of the Year web site, yesterday 24th August was Pluto Demoted Day, this day marks the occasion in 2006 when Pluto was demoted from being a planet to a dwarf planet. For our challenge today, create a card that has a space theme.


Over the years, I have created many space themed cards so I wanted to make something different to the ones I have made in the past. It has also been about a year since I have made a Magic Iris card, that that is what I decided to use for our challenge this week. I used Lawn Fawn's Magic Iris and Magic Iris Add-On die sets to create the magic iris portion of this card.

Here is a quick video to see my card in action. 


To create the background of my card I grabbed some papers from the Craft Consortium's Ink Drops Vivid Paper Pad. This has to be one of the most versatile papers as I have used it for so many different themes, all I needed to do for this card is splatter over some white paint and Liquid Stardust to give it the outer space feel.


Here you can see my card with the "Magic Iris" full open. I had made this card and was ready to video the opening and closing of my magic iris and it started playing up, so I carefully removed the front from the card base (I didn't want to ruin the inside of my card) and. added an extra layer of foam tape around the edge of the card and a layer to the three bridge pieces on the magic iris. Once I had re-assembled my card, the magic iris worked perfectly as you can tell by the video above.


Here is a quick look at my card showing the Magic Iris closed, partially open and fully open.

To decorate the front of the card I added the moon surface using Whimsy Stamps Moon Background stamp. The sentiment shown when the magic iris is fully open is from Honey Bee Stamps Stellar Sentiments stamp set.


I had intended to keep this card to just the Magic Iris on the front, but when I had finished the front and was about to work out what to do in the inside I ended up deciding to fully decorate the inside too. So I added more splattered papers and the moon.

Most of the images used on both the front and back of my card are from MFT Stamps Space Explorer stamp set, but as I have many space themed stamp sets I did pull out a few extra planets and the alien from a couple of other sets, including Honey Bee Stamps Far Out Friends and a discontinued There She Goes stamp set called Out of this World.

I created a pop-up card for the inside using the mechanism from Karen Burniston's Katherine Label Pop-up to pop up the cute astronaut holding the balloons. You can see how the pop up mechanism moves the astronaut up and down in the video above.

Finally I added another sentiment using the Honey Bee Stamps Stellar Sentiments stamp set. I used the smallest rectangle die included in the Karen Burnsiton's Long Rectangles - Crosshatch die set to layer the sentiment. 

Don't forget to check out the CCEE Stampers blog (goes live 12 AM EST) to see the rest of the creations the CCEE Stampers created this week. You can also see more details of their creations on their individual blogs:

Other Supplies:

Out of this World Stamp set - There She Goes (discontinued)




5 comments:

Lois said...

This is awesome, Frances!

Liz Williams said...

Your cards are always so mystical and magical and this one is absolutely out of this world, Frances.

Lynn McAuley said...

Out of this world awesomeness, Frances!! WOW!! Love that music, too! How perfect for this outer space design!!

Karen Aicken said...

Outstanding!!

MiamiKel said...

Your card is beautiful beyond words! The scene is so perfect and the bright fun colors make this outer space POP!