Sunday, June 24, 2007

Another Piece of the Puzzle!

These two cards were created for a book club I belong to, where we are given a theme and then we need to create a piece to go into the book and the book finally goes home to the owner. For the top card, the theme was using puzzle pieces, I purchased some giant kids puzzle pieces a few years back at a flea market so this was the ideal time to use one of the pieces. First up I applied versamark ink to the puzzle piece and covered it completely with Mountain Berry Opals Embossing Powder. I applied two layers of this color and then I drizzled on a Purple Mineral Magic Melt and some Valentine & Aurora Opals - all these are various brands of Thick Embossing Powder. It has been a while since I have played with thicking embossing powder so this was fun.

After the utee had cooled I decided to wrap some tiny beads around the piece for decoration. It took a while to decide what to do with it after that, my first attempts were pretty lame so eventually I came up with this card. As you can see I am still playing with those flourish stamps - they are soooo versitile and make a good background for this card, it was a white card but I sponged some pink ink over it. I guess this card is also based on Beate's sketch for this weekend.
Working out what verse to use on this card took some thinking, I wanted something related to either puzzle or jigsaw, but many seemed to mushy so came up with this one. I think it is appropriate and it will be the 3rd card in a book of 4 using puzzles.

The theme for this second card was to use a domino piece on your card, the tiny domino piece was included with the book. It is a little hard to see here but if you look at the eiffel tower you may see it. For this one I used the dtp technique to color my card using bisque, amber clay & olive pastel fluid chalk inkpads. I then stamped my image over the top of this using black ink. After sanding my domino I applied these inks to my domino piece - heat setting between layers, chalk inks are permanent on dominoes as long as you heat set. Once I had my color I turned my stamp so the image was facing me and placed my domino onto the area that I wanted to appear on my piece. This is the easiest way to get good placement for some items like dominoes. I used black brilliance to stamp onto the domino and heat set that too, and then attached it over the main image, a little like when you are doing the spotlight technique.

Recipes: Puzzle Card: Stamps: Flourish - Autumn Leaves; Verse - Karen Foster Snap Stamps
Paper: Rose Red - Stampin' Up; White
Other: Black Ink; Maroon & Pink Pastel Fluid Chalks; Puzzle Piece; Tiny Beads; Thread; Mountain Berry, Valentine & Aurora Opals; Purple Mineral Magic Melts; Paper Piercing Tool & Mat.

Domino Card: Stamps: Stylish Images (Aust)
Paper: White; Black; Tobacco Prisma Card
Other: Black Ink; Bisque, Amber Clay & Olive Pastel Fluid Chalks; Domino; Gold Eyelets

3 comments:

Connie Carpenter Macko said...

I really like these cards - both have wonderful ideas (I'm taking my son's old puzzles OUT of the garage sale box!) Keep on stamping!

Alhambra Club said...

Both cards are great but must admit I am partial to your domino card.

Leigh said...

Both beautiful cards.