Thursday, June 14, 2007

Magnetic Bookmark Cards

Well today was club day for me at the stamp club I belong to down the coast. Our project today was from a Stamping & Papercrafts magazine from about a year ago, magnetic bookmark cards. As the samples in the magazine were all made using House Mouse stamps many of us used our House Mouse images to create our cards. I did make one bookmark cards using a HM stamp but I didn't want to do all HM cards so I also went looking for another stamp to use and discovered this one I got about 11 years ago and hadn't used for a long time.
These cards are simple to make and ideal for when you want to give something a little bit more. All you need to do is create your card as normal with the fold of the card on the left side. For my cards I made hinged cards but you wouldn't have to do this unless you wanted to, this is what was made in the magazine and it was nice to do for a change.

On this second photo of the cats card you can see the bookmark off the card. It is best not to have toooo many layers on either your bookmark or your main card so that the magnet will work. We discovered today that not all magnets will work for this, with all the layers. If you look at both photos of the card card you can see that the pumpkin card only shows at the top of the bookmark so it matches the card, I trimmed it so it was level with the black image as you don't want toooo many layers on the side of the bookmark as it would change the look of the card itself. If you wanted to you could make your bookmark the whole length of the card, I cut both of mine a little shorter.

Seeing I have lots of HM stamps I did make one HM card, I am not sure if I have used this stamp before. I can't even remember buying it for that matter so maybe someone gave it to me as a gift - hmmmmm. However I got the stamp it is a darling image, this mouse looks soooo adorable on the ducks back. Pity they aren't as cute in real life.

Recipes:
Cats on Fence:
Stamps: Cats - STamps in Motion
Paper: White; Black; Pumpkin
Other: Black Ink; Black Brads - Bazzill; Magnet strip

House Mouse:
Stamps: HM - Stampabilities
Paper: White; Black; Yellow; Certainly Celery - SU
Other: Black Ink; Yellow Brads - Making Memories; Magnet strip

10 comments:

Mark's Finest Papers said...

These cards are AWESOME! Wow! They are just the perfect gift/card idea!

Michele Kovack said...

What a fantastic idea! WOWEEE! You are such a out of the box thinker....love that!

Alhambra Club said...

These cards are GREAT!!!, what a fantastic idea, thanks for sharing.

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

This is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. And yours are absolutely gorgeous!
Denise

Anonymous said...

Frances this is so cool and what a great gift idea! Love the stamps you used too!

Karen Lindsay said...

Wonderful cards! I love this idea and I thank you for sharing. :) ****brain ticking away****

Broni said...

Wow! These are too cool! Can you tell us WHICH magnets WILL work??

Cathrine StClair said...

What a great idea! I've made these before where the magnet was the main decoration - but not where it was more of a spotlight! Wonderfully clever!!

Juliana said...

So very very clever!!
I want to try this!!

Erin said...

These are too cool for words, I've not seen them ever before! :)