Friday, June 22, 2007

Flashback Friday - The Owl & The Pussycat

In case you don't know I enjoy collect owls, that is why my "online" name is StampOwl as I decided to combine the two things I enjoy doing - Stamping + Owl collecting. I began collecting owls many years ago when I was a Brownie Leader and a Penpal I wrote to overseas wrote to tell me about how she loved collecting owl things which kind of got me into it. My house has owls of all sorts all over the place, stuffed, ornaments, jewelry etc.

About 4 years ago I decided to create this card to send to another friend that I do a regular monthly swap with. Being that it was owl orientated I had to make 2 one formy friend & one for me, it is a card I still enjoy looking at. The reason for the card was that my friend and I had challenged each other to come up with cards using the umbrella stamp by Stampourri. Of course we both did normal stuff with it but we both also like to do some things out of the box so I came up with using it as a boat and of course then the "Owl & The Pussycat" idea came into being.

The umbrella is actually a 3D style stamp created by Stampourri, 3D stamps can be lots of fun and there are many around if you look for them. The bottom portion of the umbrella was stamped onto the main card first and masked so I could stamp my clouds and sponge the sky. I could then attach the 3D part of the umbrella. The waves were created by stamping them on a separate piece of card with lots of masking and then trimming around the top wave and this was positioned onto the card so that I could place the boat under the waves.
The cat & the owl were stamped on separate card, cut out and attached into the umbrella/boat using foam tape so they stood out a little from the base card. The verse was created on the computer.

Recipe:
Stamps: Umbrella - Stampourri; Waves - Darcies; Cat - Sonlight Stamps; Owl - Westwater Enterprises; Clouds - Art Impressions
Paper: White; Lime Green; Cobalt
Other: Black Ink; Foam Tape.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you're already into tomorrow morning! We're just after 4:30 PM on THURS still! Love how you did the 3D umbrella! Very neat idea! Did you mask the animals to stamp the first umbella for the background? Deb M in BC CANADA :)

Alhambra Club said...

OMG, this card is fantastic, you are so detailed, the card is beautiful and you can tell how much time and love you put into it. Happy Friday, It is 8:40 Thursday night by me.

Connie Carpenter Macko said...

I Love Owls too.... You once directed me to some good sites for owl stamps over on SCS! I keep checking back to see what nifty things you've done - and if there will be any OWLS on them! Yeah!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW!! I don't know if I've ever seen a 3D stamp before (but will now be looking for them!!) I love this card and all it's little details!
Starla (star)

Anonymous said...

I just love this card! so cute! My grandma collected owls too! So cool!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable card! And,verrry clever :) I love it! TFS

Soguesswhat11 said...

this is so cute! What a wonderful way to put your love of owls and stamping together! lol

Korina said...

I must say I adore this card. I hope you don't mind that I may save it for an idea. I love the owl and the pussycat. I also collect owls, small world. :)

I'm going to assume that you've seen these but in case you haven't there are some lovely owl stamps that I've been eying on this site

http://www.sideshowstamps.com/SideshowStampsFlowersPlantsAnimalsandBugs.html